Home > Dev > Container bug in Flex3 beta2

Container bug in Flex3 beta2

October 19th, 2007

Update: This bug has long been fixed by Adobe. Please ignore this post, Flex 3 is wonderful!

Makes me wonder why nobody else has yet written anything about this bug … when using any container component like for example a Panel or TitleWindow with a different borderStyle than the default, e.g. borderStyle: solid all your contents of that container reach into the the chrome of the Panel/Window/etc. pretty much messing up your layout. How could this escape the eyes of Adobe’s Flex devs? Here’s the thread at Adobe’s Flex forum. This is bad because it sort of prevents me from writing any Flex/AIR applications until this issue has been fixed, I’m using a custom theme for all my projects that use a solid borderStyle (similar to the one used in the Flex Style Explorer). The marvels of open beta software pushed by corporations for mere publicity purpose!

Categories: Dev Tags: ,
  1. Dman
    October 19th, 2007 at 17:37 | #1

Your statement of “The marvels of open beta software pushed by corporations for mere publicity purpose!” really rubbed me the wrong way… it’s beta and bugs are expected. Yes even serious ones like that and I have found one that’s even worse. But isn’t that what a beta is about? To get it out to more people so these bugs can be found faster. Would much rather have it this way then purely closed beta that could possibly result in a less stable final product. I do agree it’s frustrating that things of this caliper have slipped through the cracks… but what can you do?

2. October 19th, 2007 at 18:24 | #2

I had this bug already reported on the first beta.
    hope it gets fixed for the final.

3. October 19th, 2007 at 19:25 | #3

@Dman yes yes I’m sorry! My cynicism sometimes takes over! But you have to admit that more and more software becomes open beta too early. For Flex/AIR it seems almost obvious that it is opened early for the purpose to make it more popular by means of that many users develop applications with it, e.g. look at how Adobe already presents AIR applications even though it’s still beta. According to these beta/marketing politics I find this particular bug indeed embarrassing.

@thibaud how could you have this bug on the first beta? It never happened in beta1 for me.

4. October 21st, 2007 at 22:37 | #4

Actually it’s not the exact same issue but another one of the many bugs related to the use of solid border style. when looking at compiled flex 2 code with flex 3 beta1 & 2 it actually went worse from beta 1 to beta 2.

I’m just feeling depressed when looking at what flex3 did with that lovely application skinning and layout i had done in flex2.

5. March 27th, 2008 at 13:00 | #5

Is the bug still exists??

6. March 27th, 2008 at 23:00 | #6

Nope, works fine here now with borderStyle: solid.

7. April 12th, 2008 at 12:08 | #7

Heh, cool.

@Sascha. Thanks for the comment about it being sorted now.
    NOW I’ll move on over to flex3. ;)

James.

8. June 21st, 2008 at 06:37 | #8

They push non finished products to the markt with several bugs with only 1 reason: $.

Comments are closed.