Home > Dev > Flash gets Low-Level 3D API, golden Times for Game Devs ahead

Flash gets Low-Level 3D API, golden Times for Game Devs ahead

I’ve heard plans and rumors about this before but it seems now it’s official: The next versions of the Flash and AIR runtimes will have a low-level 3D API on board that utilizes DirectX, OpenGL and OpenGL ES. Maybe this racing demo video will convince most game devs who were skeptical about the Flash platform before.

The demo was coded by the guys who maintain Alternative3D, one of the the few software-rendered 3D engines for Flash that are better suited for 3D game development. The engine has recently been made free of charge for commercial development. The makers only require a back link to their product website in your game now.

I find Alternativa3D quite attractive, in particular after seeing videos and screenshots of War.ru, an online multiplayer Role-playing game that reminds me of RPGs classics like Wizardry, just with better graphics. Unfortunately the whole game is in Russian only for now and so far I haven’t been able to log in, the load procedure is very slow and always gets stuck at some point for me.

Still the game looks very promising with some nice looking 3D environments. The actors (NPC’s and creatures) seem to be inanimate billboard sprites though so they only look impressive on a static screenshot but imagine what would be possible with the newly achieved 3D power! I’m looking forward to create vast 3D environments with autonomous actor AIs a’la Oblivion or Fallout 3! The only bottleneck will – yet again – be the content creation.

1. October 26th, 2010 at 15:03 | #1

Well, i know why i spent my time with other things than 3D up till now … FP11 might make the game a lot easier, and for programmers its definitly a game changer.

2. October 26th, 2010 at 15:17 | #2

I was waiting for something like this for years. And it is not Air only, it is for Flash in browser too. Now Flash has a competition for WebGL which is good. I hope that by them competing with each other we will have a very decent 3D in browsers across the spectrum of the devices.

3. sartre
    October 26th, 2010 at 23:50 | #3

“FP11 might make the game a lot easier”…
    Please note that since this is an API, it will not require a new flash player version. It should work with existing fp 10.1 I believe.

4. October 27th, 2010 at 00:05 | #4

sartre :
    “FP11 might make the game a lot easier”…

I really hope so. They did mention that a more public betas will be available somewhere in half a year, and this is too fast for Adobe usual cycle of releasing new tools iterations each two years. So it will aether will be part of CS6/Flash 11 that may come out after 18 months or it may be released earlier as Flash 10.2 build that will include new APIs while CS6 will bring polish and average support in Flash Authoring for those new features.

5. October 27th, 2010 at 11:25 | #5

@sartre
    Uhm, sorry but how are you going to do that? The current Flash Player has no connections to DirectX or OpenGL APIs so technically this is impossible without a new FP version that can utilize these. Additionally an API update without a new FP update would mean that it must be an RSL implementation, like the dreadful TLF (also known as “The Largest Fail”) which we all hope it will most definitely not be.

6. October 28th, 2010 at 16:13 | #6

Unity is way better if you want to develop games

1. October 21st, 2014 at 09:35 | #1