Home > Dataleak, Gaming > Game Over for SOE about Star Wars Galaxies?

Game Over for SOE about Star Wars Galaxies?

If we can believe these rumors originally from mmorpg.com it looks like Star Wars Galaxies is very soon history for Sony Online Entertainment. According to the news Lucas Arts withdraw the SWG license from SOE and gave it to Bioware, the makers of SWKOTOR.
“Bioware did indeed gain rights to develop a second version of SWG. It wont be called SWG2. Its not a completely new game but rather a reworking of existing code.” … sounds vague but I’m curious what Bioware will make of this in case this is going to happen! I hope it will be something like a Pre-CU SWG without bugs and a good portion of true Star Wars feel. And don’t forget to put the Creature Handlers back in! But Bioware would have it easy to make a good game … it’s hard to top a developer like SOE in terms of incompetence and customer dissatisfaction!

Categories: Dataleak, Gaming Tags: , ,
  1. Otoris
    June 21st, 2006 at 03:49 | #1

When is this new swg due???And will we have to buy the new version and erase our old swg data?

2. WildCard
    June 27th, 2006 at 22:49 | #2

Yes and believe me it will be for the better to get rid of those bugs. SOE screwed up big time.

3. Chris
    July 13th, 2006 at 00:16 | #3

I would start a new toon and rid my Elder Jedi of all his bugz to have Pre-CU.

4. Chris
    July 13th, 2006 at 00:17 | #4

Although i would like to keep my stuff :)

5. Drake
    July 21st, 2006 at 09:57 | #5

Calm down everyone even George Lucas aint stupid enough to let all the hard work in expansions and game prossesing to sell it out.

6. Jeremy
    October 3rd, 2006 at 11:31 | #6

Ok sorry, Drake… i can’t believe you’d say “sell out”.

That would be a negative term… In this case SOE blew it worse than … well I won’t say anything else… cause they screwed up SWG so badly, that Lucas would be absolutely retarded to let SOE continue to develop SWG and SWG2.

IMO Bioware is one of the greatest companies ever risen. They’re definately in the playing field of Blizzard. I think that if Bioware and Blizzard went head to head on a SWG2 game… best developer win, that we would be totally mind-blasted, because Blizzard would try… fail… go back to WoW…

7. Jeff
    October 7th, 2006 at 17:12 | #7

You guys do know about some developers bringing back the pre-cu and it’s going to be free to play right?

Head over to http://www.swgemu.com and read about it.

8. okrona
    October 7th, 2006 at 22:53 | #8

SOE just has a bad case of WOW envy.

9. Spratlin
    January 16th, 2007 at 10:20 | #9

SWG is messed up as it is. I think we could see what bioware has in store for us and if it stinks well…I guess its their loss?
    Besides half the members of SWG left becuase of the NGE. Pre cu was awsome and servers were packed.
    Well email me if you get new info.

10. Nile
    February 2nd, 2007 at 11:49 | #10

Iv played SWG since the Launch in UK, uptill the CU i was loving it. At the point of the CU I started to feel 50/50 but then when NGE came I did the only sane thing and delete my lvl 90 elder characters and stop subscription on all my accounts. SOE have totally messed up a perfect game. Instead of taking out bugs they took out content which made a large portion of the customer base.

Not everyone wanted to be a jedi. I loved CH, I loved TKM. There were some really awsome professions and I remember when the servers used to actually have people on them.
    The way I see it is that SOE just didnt know what the hell to do and screwed up. They kept saying no its fine but I read in a post done by SOE that they admitted NGE was a mistake…Whats the F&*King point now As& Ho%$s They lost alot of people.
    I know so many people are trying to create Pre CU servers and if LA and SOE think about it none of these people would be going through the trouble if SOE didnt screw SWG up.

It was as if SOE carried out their own version of “Order 66″ but agaist everyone and not just jedi.
    If u go in game now all u see is jedi running around…Thats not what it was to be, Jedi was a prestige class why not leave it like that!!!!

I do hope that Bioware is given the rights to create SWG again, cos If SOE have it then tbh I dont see SWG past 07.
    Last week my friend told me that our entire old guild left, 200 players all gone thats just a rough example of the loss which in actual fact is 000’s

As the comic book guy from Simpsons puts it. SOE running SWG “Worst choice ever”

11. C-Boo
    April 24th, 2007 at 06:23 | #11

I completely agree with Nile, there are tons of Jedi running around and thats not what SWG was about. Yes, it was difficult to become a Jedi, but that was the beauty of it all. It went with Lucas’ story, that not everyone can or was meant to be a jedi.

It was fun mixing and matching all the professions… TKM/Fencer… BH/Pistoleer… and all the ones that you have all tried. SOE thought that the complexity and variety of everything was “too hard and not fun for most”. That seems weird to me because learning the game and developing your character through months and months of training and decision making is what made the game fun!

Now that’s all gone. I want the old SWG back and I want to know when “SWG2″ is coming to rid us of our dissapointment and sadness.

12. Jeremy
    April 25th, 2007 at 15:03 | #12

Lets ressurect the dead kthx… seriously… Oct. 3rd… this thing is still in circulation!?!?!?!?

wow… insane. Anyway… Warhammer Online is coming out soon. I will have to give that a try. TBC is a dissapointment for me, the game itself is kinda cool, the people i’m with not so much… >> Warhammer Online FTW.

13. will
    May 4th, 2007 at 03:21 | #13

Hey look

this didnt happen

14. Karl
    May 20th, 2007 at 11:09 | #14

SWG should be free because its not fair for me because im only 13 (about to be 14)and i cant get a job yet and my parents dont want to pay for it because it is too much money but they would pay for xbox live though.So they should make it free or just make it for the xbox 360.

15. May 26th, 2007 at 12:21 | #15

1. SWGEMU is comming out . its a emulation and private server of swg pre-cu. its run by a great devlopment team which built it up from scratch (with everything it used to have) and its tootaly legal

2. if bioware makes swg: the old republic it will not be related at all to swg (meaning sianara to all ur toons and credits), even though it could be better ( better graphics prob and pre-cu style gameplay). oh and they have won the lease to create it

16. sabik
    September 12th, 2009 at 07:24 | #16

swg is almost dead now but they keep trying. to make it. i say give up already you messed it up and took the loss’s. bio ware is now makeing the new starwars and geting closer to beta so all of you all get ready. (:

1. No trackbacks yet.