Home > Misc > PC Repair vs. Mac Repair

PC Repair vs. Mac Repair

February 14th, 2011 Leave a comment Go to comments

Warning: Illegal string offset 'status_txt' in /home/hexagonstar/domains/blog.hexagonstar.com/wp-content/plugins/share-and-follow/share-and-follow.php on line 1243

Here’s how PC repair works:

You build your PC by yourself after checking on the web what components are of good quality and work well together. So after picking the motherboard, RAM, harddrive, PSU etc. etc. you assemble it all and after plugging in the new creation it boots up happily. You’ve owned five PC so far and four of them were built together by yourself. If something breaks you check information on the web about the problem (if you’re not already familiar with it), you soon know what component is broken, then you go buy a new one and replace the broken one and the PC works again. But the thing is: so far none of your four self-built PCs were ever broken!

Here’s how Mac repair works:

You buy a new Power Mac G5 from Apple. It works alright but after roughly 1.5 years it starts to get into trouble booting up. More often than not you push the power button in the morning but the Mac wont boot up. You search the web for infos on the problem and scarcely find something useful. After unplugging the power cord from the Mac, waiting for 30 minutes, holding the power button for six seconds (to reset something of unknown nature inside the Mac) it might boot again … for now. This goes on for about one or two months, sometimes the Mac boots rights away, but more often it doesn’t boot, not even after unplugging and waiting for 30 minutes five times.

Eventually you give in and call Apple’s repair service. Surprisingly the service person who is on the phone happens to be friendly (it’s usually not the case). One day later your Mac get’s picked up by the delivery guy and two days after that he brings it back promptly. Apple’s repair service tells you that they replaced the power supply (makes sense), the graphics card (??) and the DVD drive (???) in your Mac. You don’t bother too much about why they replaced the graphics card and the DVD drive because your Mac boots up again, that is … until some days later when the problem starts to appear again … one morning you switch on your Mac and instead of booting up it only makes a short power-on appearance and then shuts down again. You start wondering WTF Apple’s repair service actually repaired or if they instead roll dice to pick some arbitrary components to replace to make it look like an important repair! (Optionally: You throw away this PoS called Mac and buy a PC).

… This is what just happened to our (more specifically my wife’s) Power Mac. I’m sure you can imagine the frustration of  realizing that the problem is far from being gone, after believing that the machine was finally fixed. Instead the trouble starts all over and you’re at the mercy of Apple’s repair service because there’s no way to fix the hardware by yourself.

This just again proves for me why using a blackbox like a Mac is a bad deal and is just not worth the trouble. My wife would switch to PC in a second if only she could install and run Mac OSX flawlessly on it! But of course Apple only allows to run their OS on their crappy hardware. Do yourself a favor and don’t buy a Mac, they are way too overpriced anyway!

Categories: Misc Tags: , , , , ,
  1. Jeff
    February 14th, 2011 at 16:43 | #1

Steve prefers you buy a new Mac instead of repairing it, although he might not admit it. How can he buy new houses and cars if you keep prolonging the products life-cycle?

You might like this: The Self-Repair Manifesto: http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

2. February 14th, 2011 at 19:29 | #2

I have no idea why you’d want a mac in the first place. Perhaps if you’ve got a ton of money and don’t really need a computer that much, but still want to spend a lot of money on it?

Custom-build computers are always the best option for people with the proper know-how. You know precisely what you’re going to be doing on that machine. If you’re building a gaming rig, you’ll get a fast dual-core and 4gb or so of low timing RAM, a solid graphics card or two and a good mouse/keyboard/pad combo. If you’re building a render server or video conversion box, you’ll get huge, slow disks, lots of cheap RAM and as many cores as you can.

You limit the costs by buying the parts best suited for the job. In the end you get a machine better suited to it’s role for less money. Does your work server need a shiny new apple-branded case in order to work properly when it’s locked back in the server room? No? Then just grab a used big tower off ebay for a fraction of the price.

Apple’s business model assumes all of it’s clients are technically inept yuppies who have the money to buy a mac but not the technical skills to fix it.

This applies to all of it’s junk too. How the hell am I supposed to swap the battery on an iPhone when I’m in the middle of a cross-country trip? Whip out my leatherman and disassemble then reassemble the phone on my knees?

3. Ben S
    February 15th, 2011 at 01:07 | #3

Build a hackintosh, or maybe try to get your wife to try Ubuntu.

My wife also uses Macs, but she has better luck with them. I’m anti-Apple and prefer PCs running Linux or Windows.

4. Alex
    February 16th, 2011 at 01:35 | #4

Just a thought… since the last three comments seem to offer only little help for the moment:

Every Mac (and PC as well) has a tiny buffer-battery in it to make sure some preferences are safely stored for the next boot.
    Some years ago I had quite the same problem with a 3 years old Mac G4 which suddenly froze after some hours work. The time between those freezes kept getting shorter until it wouldn’t want to boot at all – or only after long periods of being switched off. About $20 later it worked like a charm again.

5. February 17th, 2011 at 06:57 | #5

I’ve recently got back into building my own pcs after a few years on mac. Unfortunately what you are upset with about Macs is really the case with any laptop. You can’t really build a custom laptop yourself and there’s not much you can repair yourself.

6. February 17th, 2011 at 10:15 | #6

@Alex Thanks for the hint but we did that too, replaced the battery that sits somewhere on the main board. Didn’t change anything in our case. According to some rumors among Mac users here it seems to be the graphics card that is used in the G5 which is causing trouble.

@Keith You’re right, it applies to laptops as well of course. Although I can imagine that among hardware-savvy people even these are easier to fix/getting replacement parts for than for a Mac.

7. ramindeja
    February 24th, 2011 at 22:26 | #7

I totally understand that PCs can be assembled by users and they are much cheaper, no questions asked!

I’ve been a PC users for decades and since 5 years ago I’ve switched to MAC due my job. It is expensive, the aluminum casing shouldn’t make the price that high! But I prefer the OS and the fact that I can use it like a UNIX machine.

There is also the question of the OS, I like the MAC OS X a lot more than Windows and I’ve used the latter for years. Ubuntu is fantastic but some of my tools are not yet ported to this OS :(

Here is my take on the topic: if you’re OK with Windows and do not want to pay $$$$$$$$ for a computer GO PC. If you like the MAC environment go MAC… or, and I hope so much for this to happen, wait until another company comes with a computer that beats both systems :) I hate monopolies, they always reduce your choices to a few mediocre options!

8. May 26th, 2011 at 18:51 | #8

Laptop repair for macs always seems to cost more than for pcs I found that mac customer services seem to be more willing to help you. Personally I can’t say for everyones experience.

9. fox
    June 26th, 2011 at 20:11 | #9

I am back on PC afetr spending a huge amount of money for mac’s which in fact do run less reliable than Windows 7 theses days… plus transparent AERO looks sexier than Gray OSX . Even Aero snap is so usefull…

1. February 16th, 2011 at 07:40 | #1