Home > Featured, Gaming, Random Picks > Running Sentinel Worlds on DOSBox with Tandy Sound

Running Sentinel Worlds on DOSBox with Tandy Sound

I’ve mentioned before that it’s possible to run Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic in DOSBox with Tandy sound enabled but I couldn’t figure out how to get it working. Today I’m back with good news in that I can tell you how to get this fixed so the trillions of SWFM fans out there can enjoy this fantastic game with the excellent Tandy sound!

First you need of course DOSBox (v0.74 as of now), a copy of SWFM (you can find a pre-installed one here), and – the magic fix – my replacement files which you can get here …

Download SWFM Tandy Fix v1.0.0 (11.2 kB, downloaded 534 times)

Next, in the pre-installed version is a folder named FM, simply copy the files from my zip into that folder, overwriting the old ones (you might want to backup these first, but then, once you go Tandy you never go back! ;) ).

Finally you need to tell DOSBox to use Tandy graphics and sound. I recommend using a frontend like D-Fend to configure those settings (and in all honesty I don’t know how to apply them to DOSBox without the frontend). So in D-Fend edit the profile of SWFM (wich you undoubtedly already created) and under ‘Graphics’ set ‘videocard’ to ‘tandy’ and under ‘Sound’ set ‘Tandy sound’ to ‘On’.

And, voila … you got SWFM with Tandy sound running. Note that any savegame that was saved with the non-Tandy version might get you scrambled graphics so you have to start a new game.

Listen Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic with Tandy sound

1. UK_John
    November 16th, 2010 at 23:53 | #1

Thanks so much for this! have this on the C64 and PC – now the sounds on PC are just as great as the C64 SID music! thank you!

2. November 17th, 2010 at 00:59 | #2

@UK_John
    You’re welcome! … In fact anyone who plays this gem of a game is welcome! ;)

3. Ben S
    November 29th, 2010 at 14:26 | #3

Where did you get / how did you make this fix?

4. November 29th, 2010 at 14:48 | #4

@Ben S
    There are three possible answers to your question …

1) I used magic powers to create them.
    2) I stole them from the top secret warehouse of the CIA.
    3) I used logic and keen senses to put the files together myself.

;)

5. UK_John
    November 29th, 2010 at 23:38 | #5

I go with the magic powers, your Sentineless!

6. Scott
    June 21st, 2011 at 04:54 | #6

I keep getting the message to Please insert Game Disk, Press ‘Enter’ when ready message and it never goes away. What am I configuring wrong in D-fend?

7. Jonathan
    June 29th, 2011 at 11:33 | #7

@Scott
    Under “Directories” put an A drive to the root folder of the program.

8. Scott
    June 30th, 2011 at 00:18 | #8

I set up a A drive to the folder and I set up a C drive to the folder. The A drive as a floppy and the C drive as a hard disk. It still kept asking me to Press ‘Enter’ when ready.

Is there another setting I am missing. Can you walk me through D-fender in how to set it up.

I played this game back when it first came out and wanted to play it again for old times sake.

9. Psionic_Heretic
    March 23rd, 2012 at 19:45 | #9

ok everyone here my autoexec bit form my config files

[autoexec]
    mount c “c:\sw1\fm” -label SWFM
    mount y “c:\”
    Y:
    cd/
    cd sw1
    call PLAY.BAT

i figured it out using D.O.G. but you can do it under dosbox gameloader
    as well. I dont know if the label has anything to do with it i just know it worked

1. No trackbacks yet.